Kylie (+ Dannii) Minogue | General Discussion Thread

Dax Diameter

12 hours ago, Main Pop Girl said:

Iconic! :hail: I guess it will be the Vegas setlist with a few new Tension II songs added? I'm sure she'll slay!

No, I don't think so! The staging is completely different, and from what I've gathered (by Kylie's own words), it's going to be very DiscoTension & Tension II focused, with some classics and a potential '90s medley, inspired by a specific "Confide in Me" remix.

• Shook 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:40 AM, Dax Diameter said:

Simon Cowell (in his role as a high ranking Sony executive)

Simon had slagged Kylie off in the press

Simon was employed as an RCA A&R guy the whole time that Kylie was releasing records on Deconstruction. RCA and DeConstruction were both BMG labels. The BMG and Sony merger only happened in 2004, with Sony closing BMG in 2008 (The modern BMG - that Kylie releases her records through - is a new label company set up by the original owners who kept the name rights but is not the same entity). He probably wasn't the only person in the biz who were skeptical that Kylie could make a comeback. 

Also the trade press is not the same as "the press". Nobody outside of the music industry knew who Simon Cowell was in June 2000. I'm sure he's easily gauded into making negative comments about his competition. 

I find what you wrote above to be quite fanciful. I don't particularly like Simon much myself, but I don't really think he has any bad will towards Kylie - for one, he's signed off on booking her for X Factor live shows enough times. 

Edited by acereject
addition

5 hours ago, acereject said:

Simon was employed as an RCA A&R guy the whole time that Kylie was releasing records on Deconstruction. RCA and DeConstruction were both BMG labels. The BMG and Sony merger only happened in 2004, with Sony closing BMG in 2008 (The modern BMG - that Kylie releases her records through - is a new label company set up by the original owners who kept the name rights but is not the same entity). He probably wasn't the only person in the biz who were skeptical that Kylie could make a comeback. 

Also the trade press is not the same as "the press". Nobody outside of the music industry knew who Simon Cowell was in June 2000. I'm sure he's easily gauded into making negative comments about his competition. 

I find what you wrote above to be quite fanciful. I don't particularly like Simon much myself, but I don't really think he has any bad will towards Kylie - for one, he's signed off on booking her for X Factor live shows enough times. 

He might not have been the “only person skeptical Kylie could make a comeback” but he was the only person launching a a Spice Girls clone on the exact same release week Kylie returned to actual Pop and therefore had an entire investment to lose and more skin in the game than most!

Simon was never in the correct executive position with RCA to have any dominion over Kylie’s career whilst she was at Deconstruction.

He was never in any position of authority or influence over her and for the record she was already on Parlophone by the time she recorded and released “Spinning Around” (zero to do with Simon or the RCA imprint that Kylie was never even on). To either not realise this or to accept the reality of this is to be obtuse.

So who cares what was happening at any iteration of a label between 2004 - 2008 that Kylie had already exited in 1999 ?

Over the years, I have found many of your posts elsewhere to be fanciful and I also find you to be very naive if you believe for one second there are no shifting tectonic plates between imprints.

Simon was desperate to pull various Kylie singles towards Sinitta on his Fanfare label back in the day and was prepared to do some very undignified things to make that happen!  A while later he signed Sonia to his IQ label (when it still looked like she had a shot of being Kylie’s rival). By the 2000’s his failure to get anywhere close enough with Kylie contractually to have her answer to him (business wise) had turned to bitterness!

So keep talking that talk as though you think you are talking to someone who was only aware of Simon from the point in time he attained a public profile!

His prior history of trying to get close to Kylie in context of his failed efforts to contractually attach himself to her success and to ride off the back of her essence goes way back!

Edited by Dax Diameter