Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BraveNewSeth said:

Two questions:

1. Do we know what’s happening with the Tension rerelease?

In the U.S. the 2023 physical deluxe CD was originally a “Target” exclusive. Apparently Target never shifted much of that stock and gave the residue back to the U.S. arm of BMG who proceeded to remove the Target sticker - thus BMG U.S. are now attempting to re-sell that previously Target only version from ANY U.S. retailer (both physical and online).

The (previously) Target only (for U.S. customers) physical deluxe track-list is exactly the same as the international physical deluxe track-list that was sold in all Non U.S. markets (where Target is not a thing).

Basically Americans are no longer restricted to Target being the only source of the physical deluxe in that region.

This version.

BMG U.S. are in the process of trying to offload all existing unsold stock of the deluxe via any outlet they can and the 23rd August release date merely signifies the end of Target’s exclusivity with regard to the physical deluxe in the U.S. market.

Kylie’s team are not going on record with any of this as it does not paint a positive PR spin - as initial 2023 sales projections indicated all this stock would have sold out in Target stores by now.

To me, the “Tension” album era has felt over since just after the HOTN single and I personally have moved on. So going forward, it will be interesting to see if BMG feel they can justify an actual re-package with additional tracks (as they originally intended).

.. and if certain folks will take the hint and leak the final (and in HQ version) of “Love Unlimited” (AKA “To Be In Love) .. or at the very least “Holding On” (supposedly from the “X” sessions) . . and stop listening to the fools who wanted what turned out to be a crappy song called “Attention Seeker” to leak just because some delulu’s thought the title was an indication that the track would surely be a bop (it wasn’t).

Edited by Dax Diameter

17 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

In the U.S. the 2023 physical deluxe CD was originally a “Target” exclusive. Apparently Target never shifted much of that stock and gave the residue back to the U.S. arm of BMG who proceeded to remove the Target sticker - thus BMG U.S. are now attempting to re-sell that previously Target only version from ANY U.S. retailer (both physical and online).

The (previously) Target only (for U.S. customers) physical deluxe track-list is exactly the same as the international physical deluxe track-list that was sold in all Non U.S. markets (where Target is not a thing).

Basically Americans are no longer restricted to Target being the only source of the physical deluxe in that region.

This version.

BMG U.S. are in the process of trying to offload all existing unsold stock of the deluxe via any outlet they can and the 23rd August release date merely signifies the end of Target’s exclusivity with regard to the physical deluxe in the U.S. market.

Kylie’s team are not going on record with any of this as it does not paint a positive PR spin - as initial 2023 sales projections indicated all this stock would have sold out in Target stores by now.

To me, the “Tension” album era has felt over since just after the HOTN single and I personally have moved on. So going forward, it will be interesting to see if BMG feel they can justify an actual re-package with additional tracks (as they originally intended).

.. and if certain folks will take the hint and leak the final (and in HQ version) of “Love Unlimited” (AKA “To Be In Love) .. or at the very least “Holding On” (supposedly from the “X” sessions) . . and stop listening to the fools who wanted what turned out to be a crappy song called “Attention Seeker” to leak just because some delulu’s thought the title was an indication that the track would surely be a bop (it wasn’t).

This is messy as FUCK but makes sense. I’ve also moved on from Tension but if she wants to throw out a digital expanded version with a few new tracks to tide us over until the next album, I wouldn’t mind. 

4 hours ago, Heartbreak Anthem said:

Honestly, she needs off BMG and onto a major again. That's my POV.

I agree. I feel there’s been a downgrade in quality with her career ever since moving to BMG. 

6 hours ago, BraveNewSeth said:

I agree. I feel there’s been a downgrade in quality with her career ever since moving to BMG. 

I mean, I get why she moved to BMG: Parlophone, since day one, was fucking her over... but BMG have done the same thing to her and other artists (ie: Janet Jackson, Avril Lavigne, Fergie et al). Controversial opinion: I'd like to see her sign directly to Warner Records (via Warner Music). Or a label like Captiol/Columbia. There's got to be options out there for her.

On 8/25/2024 at 9:49 AM, Heartbreak Anthem said:

I mean, I get why she moved to BMG: Parlophone, since day one, was fucking her over... but BMG have done the same thing to her and other artists (ie: Janet Jackson, Avril Lavigne, Fergie et al). Controversial opinion: I'd like to see her sign directly to Warner Records (via Warner Music). Or a label like Captiol/Columbia. There's got to be options out there for her.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Parlophone completely dropped the ball with Kylie after the Fever era. But there's no denying the albums she released with them (and Impossible Princess) are pop perfection. I'm not saying her BMG albums are bad, but none of them have wowed me aside from a few singles here and there. I miss the days when Kylie albums used to be events.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BraveNewSeth said:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Parlophone completely dropped the ball with Kylie after the Fever era. But there's no denying the albums she released with them (and Impossible Princess) are pop perfection. I'm not saying her BMG albums are bad, but none of them have wowed me aside from a few singles here and there. I miss the days when Kylie albums used to be events.

That's my point; the albums, as a whole, are not the problem. But they are not events at all. And I feel like there's... zero support behind her.

11 hours ago, BraveNewSeth said:

Her albums always go to No.1 in the U.K. (traditionally her main market) on release week.  In the case of “Disco”, a lot of people were very unhappy about that (namely Little Mix fans of which there were many, but also certain industry professionals working behind the scenes).

The Little Mix “Confetti” album was not only presented via all forms of media (both digital and traditional) and perceived by a youth audience (who traditionally represent pop culture), as being very much more representative of that moment in time and way more relevant to pop culture than “Disco” was, yet “Confetti” lost the race and “Disco” won.

This was not supposed to happen when singles by the winner of the eventual race were/ are essentially banned from AirPlay exposure by the main national Radio Station with the widest possible reach to a youth demographic.

Also, going much further back (and for reasons that pertain to this now largely forgotten Sony single), Kylie will never sign to that label. In context of background, Simon Cowell had been offered Spice Girls prior to Simon Fuller (and his company 19) and in a landscape then dominated by Boy Bands he felt Spice Girls were not commercially viable.

His bitterness at watching them subsequently prove the exact opposite (without him benefiting financially in any way), ate him up inside and he retroactively tried to undo his judgement error by requesting the creation of rival group Girl Thing with the intention of them replicating (and Sony benefiting from) the equivalent success of Spice Girls.

At the precise moment in time when Simon Cowell (in his role as a high ranking Sony executive) truly believed this was what was going to happen, Kylie came along in the exact same release week with “Spinning Around” (which would prove to be her comeback after several years in the commercial wilderness).

In the days just shy of that weeks chart data coming in, Simon had slagged Kylie off in the press claiming she was a “has been” and a blast from the past who was embarrassing herself by not accepting her time was over, that her single would flop (consigning her to the history books once and for all) and that Girl Thing were the future, destined to enter that week’s charts at No. 1 and would replace Spice Girls in the public’s affections.

It never happened the way Simon planned and Girl Thing were the ones effectively consigned to being a footnote.

Both Girl Thing and Little Mix were Sony acts (regardless of the latter switching imprints part way through their tenure) and Simon always stood to benefit financially from both in some way regardless of the exact route of administration that money came down.

Both Simon (and Sony, culturally as an institution) cannot stand Kylie and even at this stage in her career when it would be impossible to undo her status as a pop icon, both he and Sony would still relish and try the opportunity to do so (given another chance). Kylie has long since known this and will never walk directly in to that line of fire.

It is not a secret that Simon was determined to fuck Dannii as a means of getting as close as possible to asserting his ego over the Minogue family in any way he could (in a way not dissimilar to how Scooter Braun later used any point of access that he could to assert his dominance over Taylor).