Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

the fact that you can create 16 songs with full production, all completely perfect lyrics, all the money paid for the studio sessions.

and then you just can’t put it out because it’s even more expensive just putting it online then making it. is crazy

where did this business model come from, how did this start. 

as a dumb kid i just would’ve thought, you have the songs done upload them as easy as some one uploads a youtube video it can’t be more than a couple hundred bucks why are record labels so penny pinching.

• Like 4

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thetaco said:

and then you just can’t put it out because it’s even more expensive just putting it online then making it. is crazy 

Right its only 30 quid for a distrokid upload. Then again i dont think Bonnie's financial concerns are any of our business so like idk

• Like 3

To have gotten all the Songs re-produced is a very expensive and time consuming process, matching up all synths, melodies etc.  Same goes with Mixing and Mastering. You're probably looking at multiple thousands of own investment per Song. Mind you - you still have to compensate the people involved with all of your earnings from the Song. So it means you probably have a lawyer or someone involved to run the checks or check whatever statements / contracts. Now add promotional activities into that, whether they're music videos or little TikToks or whatever... it adds up. This is like an insanely huge, high budget Project for someone who doesn't have a super big audience, especially for someone like Bonnie who loves to deliver quality and knows what a good Song sounds like. 

Let's hope she gets some syncs for the Songs on this Album, so if your mom works at Netflix, if your uncle works and Hulu, if your aunt is chief-executive at Amazon Prime - tell them to sync/license this Album, so she makes her investment back! 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cornelia said:

To have gotten all the Songs re-produced is a very expensive and time consuming process, matching up all synths, melodies etc.  Same goes with Mixing and Mastering. You're probably looking at multiple thousands of own investment per Song. Mind you - you still have to compensate the people involved with all of your earnings from the Song. So it means you probably have a lawyer or someone involved to run the checks or check whatever statements / contracts. Now add promotional activities into that, whether they're music videos or little TikToks or whatever... it adds up. This is like an insanely huge, high budget Project for someone who doesn't have a super big audience, especially for someone like Bonnie who loves to deliver quality and knows what a good Song sounds like. 

Let's hope she gets some syncs for the Songs on this Album, so if your mom works at Netflix, if your uncle works and Hulu, if your aunt is chief-executive at Amazon Prime - tell them to sync/license this Album, so she makes her investment back! 

i’m not referencing the re-records really. i’m referencing the expensive studio sessions done for weeks and all the time and it went down the drain for 11 years. she didn’t get to do anything with them but the studio time also didnt just pay itself. she was able to use parts in the re-record luckily, i think slay has the same chorus stems. but who started the music licensing business in like the 1900s, why did registering songs on the music database become more expensive than the mastering process. and songwriters should just get a part of the songs sales, and a flat fee from when they were first brought in.

Edited by thetaco

1 hour ago, Main Pop Girl said:

Y'all worry too much about Ms Bonnie's financials. The girl wrote Teenage Dream, California Gurls and Roar. Se's 100% set for life

but according to comments here and her tiktok, she doesn't get royalties anymore because Katy sold her catalogue, which is probably the reason why Bonnie also sold her publishing. she may be in a good situation but with the cost of living these days, I don't think she's at set as you might expect.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, T2P said:

but according to comments here and her tiktok, she doesn't get royalties anymore because Katy sold her catalogue, which is probably the reason why Bonnie also sold her publishing. she may be in a good situation but with the cost of living these days, I don't think she's at set as you might expect.

Katy sold her own shares of her catalogue, Bonnie's are completely unrelated.

Either way she's most likely set for life, though that doesnt mean she can pour money into a project that makes none of it back 

Edited by konnichiwalski

6 hours ago, Main Pop Girl said:

Y'all worry too much about Ms Bonnie's financials. The girl wrote Teenage Dream, California Gurls and Roar. Se's 100% set for life

Bonnie herself sold her catalog, she said that she made more money from Bombastic syncs than she did her entire career prior. Bonnie has also said she has to be careful where she spends her money because of how much this project costs to do, and she receives almost no return on investment for the music videos.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, izzzyyy said:

Bonnie herself sold her catalog, she said that she made more money from Bombastic syncs than she did her entire career prior. Bonnie has also said she has to be careful where she spends her money because of how much this project costs to do, and she receives almost no return on investment for the music videos.

how on earth would katy’s hits not give her more money, than a tv sync.

also she has 7 music videos for this era and I don’t really think anyone gets money for those back. She’s probably gonna make more for the deluxe when it comes out (2025??)

Edited by thetaco

5 hours ago, chimera said:

random question: do we know which version of Everything But You is the early demo and which one is the newer one? i'm arranging my library for the Hot City - Demos

the newer one has the prominent bass synth

I was just revisiting my Epic folder and I absolutely NEED Sexin U, Go Getter, Love Spell, Last Call Lover and Soundtrack to the End in a deluxe/side B tbh. They're brilliant!!!

Also here's this edit I did for Sexin U a while ago that I just reworked. I tried to make it sound a little more complete, and tweaked little EQs here and there to make it more balanced. Bonnie, if you see this, what an absolute sexy BANGER of a song.

• Like 1