Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

Posted (edited)

how come she was able to afford to fully buy american girl’s recording

but couldn’t buy somebody’s gonna get hurt, i’d rather have that than either snatched or just as a 17th track. i guess buying a released song is easier than a completely unreleased song when they’re already refusing your masters? 

Edited by thetaco
  • Like 1

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, izzzyyy said:

I have no idea about the second "mix" that leaked, but I told you already that the version of the first demo that leaked was produced by Jocko. Max Martin is credited as a WRITER, but not a producer. (And because Spotify messed up the writers of the song, he wasn't there for a while, so I was very confused.)

Screen Shot 2024-06-02 at 1.34.20 PM.png

I’m assuming this is for the demo that leaked? I deleted that the second the final version leaked lmao. I can’t speak on the demo but the final version definitely has Max Martin’s touch on it, Bonnie mentioning the vocal stacking pretty much confirms it for me. That’s pretty much his signature “touch” when he works on a song. 

Posted (edited)

as a conversation stranger let’s all just talk about unreleased albums we want to come out after all these years. i’ll go first!!

Carly Rae Jepsen - Curiosity (11 Track Scrapped Album, Shelved to Release Kiss)

https://genius.com/amp/albums/Carly-rae-jepsen/Curiosity-shelved

Edited by thetaco
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, thetaco said:

but couldn’t buy somebody’s gonna get hurt, i’d rather have that than either snatched or just as a 17th track. i guess buying a released song is easier than a completely unreleased song when they’re already refusing your masters? 

I’ve been wondering this as well. The only thing I can think is that it was too expensive to buy back both of them, so she went with American Girl since that was the official first single from Hot City and she wanted it to be part of the album. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BraveNewSeth said:

I’ve been wondering this as well. The only thing I can think is that it was too expensive to buy back both of them, so she went with American Girl since that was the official first single from Hot City and she wanted it to be part of the album. 

it does look way nicer playing it with the hot city artwork. original single artwork was kinda plain, same for stars in your heart

sometimes when a song plays in an automatic radio and has an ugly artwork version it makes me not enjoy listening as much lmao. (like the deluxe of paramore before she updated it, and teenage dream the complete confection, and the standard cover for talk that talk by rihanna)

Edited by thetaco

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BraveNewSeth said:

it must’ve cost more to license a track that was (technically owned by epic) but never even had an official clearing nor owner because it never came out. and they weren’t given her her unreleased masters for her project anyway (except for $$$$$$$$$) which included somebody’s gonna get hurt’s recording

i 100% expected american girl to just chill as a loosie owned by epic, like how future starts now didn’t get attached to kim petras’ problematique because she wanted the ep to have as many possibly new songs available for fans

normani’s including a 2021 old single on her upcoming album and it’s just kinda annoying. clearly only for streams and she’s saying her first 2024 single is still the lead so she could’ve just moved on, we might not have a track that could’ve been included for such an oldie?

Edited by thetaco

28 minutes ago, thetaco said:

but couldn’t buy somebody’s gonna get hurt, i’d rather have that than either snatched or just as a 17th track. i guess buying a released song is easier than a completely unreleased song when they’re already refusing your masters? 

She said that they let her "license" it, so Epic still owns the masters for that one. Both releases—the 2013 single and the album version—share the same ISRC code. That means by streaming the album, Epic still gets a percentage of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TakeYouToHell said:

She said that they let her "license" it, so Epic still owns the masters for that one. Both releases—the 2013 single and the album version—share the same ISRC code. That means by streaming the album, Epic still gets a percentage of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

i do know bebe rexha has david guetta’s owned track i’m good in her album

but i could swear that songs that artists don’t own have the track ownership play “through the main artists album with their art” that’s why for you by rita ora plays with liam payne’s artwork through spotify, and apple music just has it greyed out but it comes with full album purchases tho. mariah’s #1s to infinity and j lo’s greatest hits do the same because each has hits from two different labels but the album licensing just has one listed on the details

that’s why tons of older movie soundtracks have missing songs

the that’s so raven soundtrack literally had im every woman by chaka khan imagine if hollywood records still got paid for that

Edited by thetaco

54 minutes ago, thetaco said:

as a conversation stranger let’s all just talk about unreleased albums we want to come out after all these years. i’ll go first!!

Carly Rae Jepsen - Curiosity (11 Track Scrapped Album, Shelved to Release Kiss)

https://genius.com/amp/albums/Carly-rae-jepsen/Curiosity-shelved

JoJo - Jumping Trains comes to mind instantly!

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, FallingStar said:

JoJo - Jumping Trains comes to mind instantly!

oh i’ve never heard any songs from that except the two singles that have re-records? i’m surprised she didn’t re-record more tracks from it. blackground didn’t even add any singles when they came back they just put up albums no b sides so she wouldn’t even have to fight for which version is heard

Edited by thetaco

1 hour ago, BraveNewSeth said:

I’m assuming this is for the demo that leaked? I deleted that the second the final version leaked lmao. I can’t speak on the demo but the final version definitely has Max Martin’s touch on it, Bonnie mentioning the vocal stacking pretty much confirms it for me. That’s pretty much his signature “touch” when he works on a song. 

Yes, that ss is for the demo - and your assumption about the final is a fair opinion to hold, I have no idea about the second mix. (Other than that it’s allegedly a stem edit.) But when I tried to tell you that Jocko produced the demo you disregarded everything I said,,, I just wanted to prove to you I’m not speaking out of my ass 😭 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thetaco said:

American Girl was released already, so although she has permission/the liscensing to include it, they still make their regular share of money from the song, and Bonnie doesn’t technically own it. Somebody’s Gonna Get Hurt wasn’t released, even tho it was intended to be, so theoretically, it might genuinely be easier for her to pay a fee and have them distribute the song, even though she is no longer signed.

Edited by izzzyyy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, izzzyyy said:

Yes, that ss is for the demo - and your assumption about the final is a fair opinion to hold, I have no idea about the second mix. (Other than that it’s allegedly a stem edit.) But when I tried to tell you that Jocko produced the demo you disregarded everything I said,,, I just wanted to prove to you I’m not speaking out of my ass 😭 

Honestly it’s my bad, I completely forgot about the first leaked demo 💀 I’m sorry if I came across as harsh, I just find this behind the scenes stuff so fascinating. I’d love to know exactly what Max Martin’s involvement with this song was, if there is any. 

And the second mix, which I’ve always called the final, actually IS a stem edit, but it’s pretty close to how the final is supposed to sound. I have the EBY recording sessions and it includes a mix down folder with the main studio mix, instrumental, acapella, etc. and the file in there is incredibly close to the second mix that leaked. It’s just missing a few harmonies during the chorus and bridge and some ad libs during the final chorus, but the instrumental is exactly the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BraveNewSeth said:

And the second mix, which I’ve always called the final, actually IS a stem edit, but it’s pretty close to how the final is supposed to sound. I have the EBY recording sessions and it includes a mix down folder with the main studio mix, instrumental, acapella, etc. and the file in there is incredibly close to the second mix that leaked. It’s just missing a few harmonies during the chorus and bridge and some ad libs during the final chorus, but the instrumental is exactly the same.

Thank you for the info! I find this all interesting as well so dw ur not alone. Also, recently the credits were updated on the released Everything But You and Max is credited as a writer! So that might help? ❤️ :))

IMG_6361.png

• Shook 1