Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

I actually hope that we won't get deluxe version (the track list and the cover are too good to change). She should take a example of Carly and give us "Hot City Side B" to close Hot City chapter, before moving to BM3 era in 2025.

This is my concept, it goes kinda well. 

1. Stay Lonely, Get Paid (2019 but seems like a perfect opener!)
2. Outlaw
3. Unlock Your Love
4. Hitman
5. Wild Card
6. Restless
7. Love Spell
8. Soundtrack To The End

Of course Last Call Lover, Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt, Waking Up Diagonal, Right Now would be better choices than some of them, but sadly the chances for them are extremely low. That's why I chose songs that are easy to release by her. Not sure about Restless tho! Bonnie, if you're reading that please consider it:yaskween:

• Like 1

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lucas M said:

I would love if So Called Life was on the deluxe version… or on BM3. It’s one of my favorite songs of hers 

I am in complete agreement with you!! I love this song so much and would love to hear a high quality version of it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucas M said:

I would love if So Called Life was on the deluxe version… or on BM3. It’s one of my favorite songs of hers 

Yes! I’ve always loved this song, I even put it on my version of the Epic album. I’d love a finalized version of it. 

2 hours ago, thetaco said:

bonnie said she’ll do more vids if hot city gets enough sales / her merch

5ECAD98C-6C22-4AA0-8FEA-185254E28035.png

And this is why I purchased two copies of the album, been streaming it non stop since release day, and will purchase both a vinyl and CD when/if they come. Let’s all show Bonnie how much we appreciate what she’s doing by supporting her!

• Like 2

settled on this tracklist and very happy with it! flows extremely well. just need to tweak the levels and lengths so it's perfect.

Spoiler

1 DGMGF

2 Forever 21

3 Hot City

4 Show You Mine

5 I Wanna Call You

6 Jenny''s Got a Boyfriend

7 American Girl

8 Slay

9 Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt

10 Waking Up Diagonal

11 Just a Kiss

12 Everything but You

13 Rewind Your Heart

14 Electric Heaven

15 Stars in Your Heart

Deluxe

16 Sleepwalker

17 Worst in Me

18 Snatched

19 Last Call Lover

20 Hit Me Up

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So I finally got around to listening to Hot City and here are some of my thoughts (that no one asked for 💀)

- WHAT did she do to DGMGF? I was expecting the worst since I have no idea who Sophie Powers is, but her verse is amazing! And that rap verse that’s borderline awful but Bonnie still somehow makes it work? This is pop music at its best, ladies.

- I’m still blown away by the sheer quality of this material. The fact that LA Reid/Epic couldn’t see the massive potential is extremely disappointing, there’s so many singles here to choose from. 

- Sleepwalker and (especially) Snatched sound way out of place. The latter isn’t a bad song but it doesn’t belong here. 

- Speaking of Sleepwalker, I’m still not a big fan of it or Stars In Your Heart. I think SIYH has potential to grow on me, but I would’ve loved to see two different songs in their places. 

- I don’t care what anyone says, Max Martin’s involvement is so obvious on the OG version of Everything But You. I can’t believe people on here believe he wasn’t involved with this track at all, especially since the released version is serving 1989 (Taylor’s Version) realness 💀 (and just so we’re perfectly clear, that’s a bad thing.)

- What happened to IWCY? It lost all its punch and everything that made it such a gem.

- Overall I prefer the OG versions of Slay (2020 mix specifically), IWCY, Electric Heaven, and EBY. I’m still on the fence with RYH. 

- On the other hand, Hot City, Jenny, DGMGF, and Forever 21 all received massive glow ups. 

Bonnie, I don’t know if you’ll ever read this, but I’m so incredibly proud of you for getting this out into the world. It’s such a perfect relic of everything that makes you so special. From irresistibly catchy pop hooks, fun music you can’t help but dance to, and scream along power pop choruses, there’s a reason you dominated the early 2010’s and if anyone tries to deny your massive talents, one listen to this album should set them straight. I can’t wait to see where you go from here; the world is your oyster. 

Edited by BraveNewSeth
  • Like 1

I was tweaking the tracklist and came up with this - imo it flows smoothly and I only swapped Snatched with Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt (forgive me Bonnie).

1. Don't Get Mad, Get Famous Single solo version, works perfect as an intro.
  2. S.L.A.Y.
  3. American Girl
  4. Forever 21
  5. Hot City
  6. I Wanna Fucking Call You
  7. Jenny's Got a Boyfriend
  8. Electric Heaven
  9. Worst in Me
  10. Sleepwalker
  11. Show Me Your Love
  12. Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt
  13. Rewind Your Heart
  14. Everything but You
  15. Just a Kiss
  16. Stars in Your Heart

(Breakdown of the tracklist in spoiler not to extend this much:)

Spoiler

The album opens with the badass intro Don't Get Mad, Get Famous, sets the mood for the album. Then we get the hype tracks, empowering anthemic bops (S.L.A.Y.American GirlForever 21Hot City) before it turns into a love story that starts in the title track, followed by a string of love songs. First she talks about her love interest (I Wanna Fucking Call You), later revealed to be her friend's boyfriend (Jenny's Got a Boyfriend). The situation heats up (Electric HeavenWorst in Me) and she's really into it (SleepwalkerShow Me Your Love) until it's implied that it won't work (Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt). It all falls down although she wants to go back (Rewind Your HeartEverything but You), as it's a very deep feeling that really captivated her (Just a Kiss), so she sends a last attempt to save the relationship with a love letter (Stars in Your Heart).

^Idk it's a little rough at times but I think it lowkey tells a story and I wanted to share it with y'all!

Still longer than I ever dreamed about this album (I always would put 12-13 tracks in it) but I think this makes room for basically all tracks. I'm still over the moon with the album! I've seen some moderate backlash towards some songs (I Wanna Fucking Call You, Everything but You the most) but I think they're bops nonetheless and the songs were not decreased in quality at all. I'm really happy we finally got this album and that Bonnie will get her well deserved coin for it! Can't wait for CDs tbh, I'd absolutely adore some.

• Like 4

what a thrill (and relief) to finally have this album. it was such a long road but we made it...  i admire Bonnie for persevering, re-recording these songs when she truly didn't have to, and being so engaged with the fans the last year. it's messed up what the industry did to her but she's so talented, musically and visually that she came out on top. her music deserves proper backing/funding from her track record alone but she's still killing it independent. 

i saw her perform tonight at weho pride and she did so great, the audience was living for her, great choreo, screen projections, and she looked amazing. she closed with American Girl and after the show took photos with fans at her merch stand. i bought a t-shirt and got a pic with her 🥰 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i keep seeing people annoyed about the new everything but you and i wanna call you, but i’m just gonna never hear the originals

literally my spotify will destroy or not take any local files i have after just a day “rip: my files of i can bang - britney spears duet with selena gomez and rock all by myself - addison rae” 😭 

i will not deal with 3 ads popping up on youtube just to hear a track i know i can’t continually hear on demand so.. yeah

bella thorne add call it whatever and bad case of u back to uk spotify or release the 13 track original album like you said you’d do!!

anyway thank u bonnie because i’d never hear this stuff otherwise. i refuse to listen to britney’s many blackout and circus unreleased tracks cause i know they’re probably good af and i can’t keep a huge file drawer in my phone and adding artwork to all so it’s not ugly

Edited by thetaco

I hope she does a visual album. I want to see the videos for I wanna call you and rewind your heart so bad. Worst is me is such a bop. Everything but you breaks my heart with that wish you were here to see me shine lyric. Show me yours is sooo 2012 I love it. Electric heaven is so close to the epic version. She sounds amazing. The whole album is amazing. I’m so happy.