Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

1 hour ago, K.K. Zeno said:

Show You Mine is the true highlight when it comes to Hot City's new songs! TRUE BANGER!

Bought the album in extra HQ on Qobuz and can't wait to buy the CD by the way. This whole release is (electric) heaven.

Where is the CD and will she release a vinyl? Cause I will 100% buy it if she does!

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am listening to the album a few hours early by my own methods (Bonnie, don't worry, I am purchasing and streaming as soon as it's out here). It's GREAT so far!!! I have been a fan of Sophie Powers from her past few releases, she was an unexpected feature for DGMGF from the first announcement. I wasn't sure how they would go together, but I should've known that Bonnie can make it all work! It was everything I could have asked for! I am early in my listen and on Hot City (the song), so I'll probably chime in again with another post or ten about songs I have strong feelings about.

• Like 3
  • YAAASSS 1

Show You Mine sounds cute! It reminds me of Katy and early Kesha, it just shows her influence in that era. I haven't listened to the OG version much, so I don't have a real basis to judge it against, but I am loving this version. It's super cute and a nice filler track imo! (no shade, not single worthy but a great track nonetheless)

IWCY sounds great as always, but I've never got the hype of wanting this to be a single. It gives soundtrack single to me, and that is no shade. I love this track, it's just not single material to me. The production is reminiscent of "Hello" by Martin Solveig & Dragonette and also "Lucky Day" by Nicola Roberts. Very pleasant to the ears!

• Like 1

Forever 21 still sounds fresh as ever! Even the brand inspiration behind the song was just bailed out of bankruptcy so that it could live on in the retail space. It's almost like this album finding it's new life after shelving. There's levels to this that I'm sure weren't even considered. Wow...

• Like 3

Electric Heaven is CUNTINAAAAAAAAA! Probably my favorite so far, it gives me all the nostalgia vibes for my late teens/early twenties. The only thing that could've improved the song imo would be post-chorus dance breaks. This song would be a 20 out of 10 with even ONE little instrumental breakdown to serve some choreo. Still, the song is a 10/10!

LOOOOOVE Worst In Me! Such a cute track. This is something I would want on my album if I were an artist searching for songs. I'm surprised that this wasn't offered to other artists and released to huge success. But that leaves room for Bonnie to do it herself! This song is EVERYTHING!

• Like 1

While I'm still listening , I just want to say that it's not lost on me that the shortest song on the album is thee one featuring the TikTok musician. Funny lil tidbit.

I looooooove Snatched! Yall are so damn negative. Sure, it's obvious that it's from a different era from the context of a person who has been following this project like a terminally online gay. But it's a cunty addition that brings the project into the new era! And it includes an amazing queer artist that has a decent following of their own that mingles well with Bonnie's. It makes perfect sense and the song is a smash! I hope they shoot a video for it tbh!!!

Sleepwalker is such a random addition bc it's so different from the rest of the songs on the project. It's inclusion is definitely just proximity-based. But it's also my FAVORITE Bonnie song, so I'm definitely not mad that it's included and will hopefully gain even more fans!

• Like 2

God y'all are hyping me up so much. Going to stay awake til midnight and listen.

I tried to listen to the snippets via the New Zealand Apple Music website and Snatched was the only song that wouldn't load. It must be too powerful.

• Like 1
  • YAAASSS 1

Also, do y'all have a companion EP/tracklist separate from the album? 👀I'm keeping the album itself as-is so I can enjoy it as its own project.

This is mine, I think it flows pretty well. If Right Now ever leaks, it'll go after Waking Up Diagonal. And Outlaw and Mirage just BELONG together on the same record, they are like spiritually related to me. The yin and yang of pop songs with a Western pastiche. I hope if she ever rerecords them that they come as a package.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 212903.png

• Like 1

Just a Kiss is so AMAZING! It's like a Lana Del Rey song got a pop makeover. I am amazed. She sounds beautiful and I'm floored honestly... she's showing some peak vocals in this one!

Rewind Your Heart is an absolutely wonderful song! It gives you the feeling of a third or fourth hit single off a major pop album. If this was on Teenage Dream, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it on radios worldwide as a major single. It has that versatility to be the single that either comes right before or after the ballad single of a pop album to re-ignite the interest in the project, maybe with a cute feature for a remix.

Everything but You is Bonnie in her best Robyn bag as you know. This song is one of my favorites on first listen to all of this project. THIS is what a gay wants in my ears. It overwhelms my senses and gives me the chills! I don't know if it should be a single, but it's definitely a favorite for me~!

I love Stars in Your Heart, but it feels like it was only included so the project had a ballad. EBY would've been a fine finishing track, but I do get the idea of having a ballad at the end of an album as a classic pop album trope, so I'm not mad. But still... the song was not needed. Still love you, though, Bonnie!

• Like 2

I just downloaded Hot City off of 7Digital 😭 I have a legal copy of the long lost Epic album sitting on my hard drive right now 😭 This moment doesn't even seem real. It feels like I'm about to wake up and find out this is all a dream. The hype is fucking UNREAL right now.

• Like 4
  • YAAASSS 1

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!! THIS FEELS LIKE JESUS CHRIST CAME DOWN FROM THE CROSS AND MADE A MIRACLE IN FRONT OF MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the new Worst In Me!!! The bass sounds so sharp, I love it.

And the new I Wanna Fucking Call You sounds so awesome as well! It has an 80s edge which I adore.

Electric Heaven, glitter pop perfection as always.

Everything But You, the serve, the pop perfection you have always been!!! Admit the lyrical changes sound weird, but I'll get used to it. I love the bass.

I seriously can't believe it's happening, finally! :yeah:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • YAAASSS 1