Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the album is finally here. 😭 What a moment. It's hard to put into words how it feels to finally have these songs officially released and available to stream/buy legally – and Bonnie finally getting the coins she deserves! From watching all of the live performances of these songs on loop back in 2013/14, being distraught finding out that the album was shelved, stumbling upon this forum years later and finding other people so tied to these songs, the wild ride of having many of the demos finally leak and refreshing this forum like a madman, Bonnie finally changing her tune about the songs sounding "dated" and embracing them again, her announcing that she'd be re-recording / releasing this project, SLAY finally being released officially (what a moment 😭), the endless delays, microbop gate, the insanely polished visuals and concepts, that album cover (!!!) and now – after all of this time – an official release. The journey to Hot City was truly been WILD, and there is a huge sense of relief / closure finally having finished versions of these songs, as Bonnie meant for us to hear them. What a time to be alive! I can't wait to play the hell out of this album.

A few of my thoughts on first listen...

- "Don't Get Mad" is lightyears better as a full song with a second verse / bridge. (I just wish it were Bonnie singing the second verse and not whoever Sophie Powers is...)

- "Show You Mine" is a BANGER. The lyrics and vibe take me right back to 2013, and it fits in so perfectly with the songs we already knew.

- I find the track sequencing of the album kind of odd. Maybe I'm just used to hearing the songs in a certain order, but I can't believe she didn't take advantage of the obvious Forever 21 > Hot City transition. I also feel like a lot of the "heavy hitter" tracks are in the middle of the album when they should be up front imo.

- "Snatched" is... something. I get what she was going for in creating a drag / gay anthem, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. It should have been a stand alone single.

- "Electric Heaven" is a religious experience.

- "Just a Kiss" is stunning. And I think "Stars in Your Heart" is the perfect album closer. I'm happy that it and "Sleepwalker" found a home here, because I've always considered them to be a part of this project.

- WTF did she do to "I Wanna Call You"? 😭 I'm not a fan of the new lyrics in "Everything But You" either, but as someone mentioned above... I wonder if she had to change them for legal reasons? I could be wrong, but I think I remember her saying in her TikTok comments that it would be "expensive" to include this song because of Max Martin's involvement.

Anyway, overall this is a near-perfect album for me (I would have changed the track sequencing and cut "Snatched") and we are truly BLESSED on this day. 😇 Can't wait to buy the hell outta the merch / physical copies!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, zaynphallic said:

I can't believe the album is finally here. 😭 What a moment. It's hard to put into words how it feels to finally have these songs officially released and available to stream/buy legally – and Bonnie finally getting the coins she deserves! From watching all of the live performances of these songs on loop back in 2013/14, being distraught finding out that the album was shelved, stumbling upon this forum years later and finding other people so tied to these songs, the wild ride of having many of the demos finally leak and refreshing this forum like a madman, Bonnie finally changing her tune about the songs sounding "dated" and embracing them again, her announcing that she'd be re-recording / releasing this project, SLAY finally being released officially (what a moment 😭), the endless delays, microbop gate, the insanely polished visuals and concepts, that album cover (!!!) and now – after all of this time – an official release. The journey to Hot City was truly been WILD, and there is a huge sense of relief / closure finally having finished versions of these songs, as Bonnie meant for us to hear them. What a time to be alive! I can't wait to play the hell out of this album.

A few of my thoughts on first listen...

- "Don't Get Mad" is lightyears better as a full song with a second verse / bridge. (I just wish it were Bonnie singing the second verse and not whoever Sophie Powers is...)

- "Show You Mine" is a BANGER. The lyrics and vibe take me right back to 2013, and it fits in so perfectly with the songs we already knew.

- I find the track sequencing of the album kind of odd. Maybe I'm just used to hearing the songs in a certain order, but I can't believe she didn't take advantage of the obvious Forever 21 > Hot City transition. I also feel like a lot of the "heavy hitter" tracks are in the middle of the album when they should be up front imo.

- "Snatched" is... something. I get what she was going for in creating a drag / gay anthem, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. It should have been a stand alone single.

- "Electric Heaven" is a religious experience.

- "Just a Kiss" is stunning. And I think "Stars in Your Heart" is the perfect album closer. I'm happy that it and "Sleepwalker" found a home here, because I've always considered them to be a part of this project.

- WTF did she do to "I Wanna Call You"? 😭 I'm not a fan of the new lyrics in "Everything But You" either, but as someone mentioned above... I wonder if she had to change them for legal reasons? I could be wrong, but I think I remember her saying in her TikTok comments that it would be "expensive" to include this song because of Max Martin's involvement.

Anyway, overall this is a near-perfect album for me (I would have changed the track sequencing and cut "Snatched") and we are truly BLESSED on this day. 😇 Can't wait to buy the hell outta the merch / physical copies!

I really liked Sophie's part tbh. I have no clue who she is either but I really had fun. I think the whole point of hot city is supposed to be insanely fun but in some parts emotionally reflective in a way. idk im like everyone else rn im super happy its out after all these years

okay everything but you.... im not the biggest fan of the key change.... it'd sound better as a live version imo though and the lyrical changes I kinda live for! it's a cute song overall but the original is defo better. still I fw it

45 minutes ago, cmiley said:

P.S. why include songs like American Girl, Sleepwalker & Stars In Your Heart when they weren’t even reworked for the album and were released prior? Hasta La Vista, Hit Me Up, Outlaw, Wild Card, Waking Up Diagonal, What’s It Gonna Take & Last Call Lover would’ve been better choices. Maybe a deluxe? Also hoping for physical releases soon (CD & Vinyl).

American Girl is literally a heart of this album ☠️ It would feel kinda empty without it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Don't Get Mad, Get Famous is still awful and the new verse from Sophie sounds completely out of place and like it was taken off a different song, the bridge is alright
Show You Mine is soooo Oliver I love it so much
I Wanna Call You is not that bad.. but the lack of a intro and the empty first verse are a mess. The rest is fine and I like the new chorus
Forever 21 sounds kinda muffled but i don't mind it tbh
Slay is cringe, I can't stand it anymore
Electric Heaven is perfect, always was one of my favs 
Worst In Me is so different I'm shocked but I love it. It sounds like an Oliver song now too
Snatched is fucking awful 
Rewind Your Heart is so good, the additions to the production are insane
Everything But You is a mess now

Edited by nuclear
  • Like 1
  • WTF 1

12 minutes ago, nuclear said:

Don't Get Mad, Get Famous is still awful and the new verse from Sophie sounds completely out of place and like it was taken off a different song, the bridge is alright
Show You Mine is soooo Oliver I love it so much
I Wanna Call You is not that bad.. but the lack of a intro and the empty first verse are a mess. The rest is fine and I like the new chorus
Forever 21 sounds kinda muffled but i don't mind it tbh
Slay is cringe, I can't stand it anymore
Electric Heaven is perfect, always was one of my favs 
Worst In Me is so different I'm shocked but I love it. It sounds like an Oliver song now too
Snatched is fucking awful 
Rewind Your Heart is so good, the additions to the production are insane
Everything But You is a mess now

L take tbh... I agree with IWCY tbh the og had more life but snatched is cunt idc