Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm not sure how we went from "SLAY" and "Hot City" (perfectly polished pop bangers with amazing artwork and visuals) to... this. She could have at least lip-synced the track in the visualizer. I'm sure she's feeling discouraged by the lack of response on social media lately, but dragging this campaign out even longer is only going to make it worse. We're now on the 3rd single and STILL don't have an album tracklist / release date / pre-order.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tropicalian said:

Bonnie sis :ohwell:

i was defending her until this. this is very clearly a padding scene leftover from another video. she’s not moving in time with the beat. and she’s still moving her head after the song ends 💀 messy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zaynphallic said:

We're now on the 3rd single and STILL don't have an album tracklist / release date / pre-order.

im 95% sure it’s happening for real next year. an indie artist has full control and can delay/scrap indefinitely. a major label can shelve you. but once she signs a 1 album contract with a small company, it has to be fulfilled. their main focus is HER and getting the album out so they can get a profit. we already know that she’s working with them since she wanted the presaves so bad.

26 minutes ago, T2P said:

im 95% sure it’s happening for real next year. an indie artist has full control and can delay/scrap indefinitely. a major label can shelve you. but once she signs a 1 album contract with a small company, it has to be fulfilled. their main focus is HER and getting the album out so they can get a profit. we already know that she’s working with them since she wanted the presaves so bad.

I believe she is signed in to a contract and contracts with an indie are just as legally binding as with a major, I also suspect her contract is more than simply for distribution at this point.

Its understandable there will be certain performance markers she will have to hit in order to progress to the next stage of rollout.

These key performance indicators (KPI’s) are important on multiple levels for any rollout strategy, not least as the marks (when hit), indicate (ultimately) how many physical copies of an album to instruct the pressing plant/s to manufacture.

Edited by Dax Diameter

I think we gotta give Bonnie a little bit of grace and put this release in context.

She has put out a pair of 3-minute+ singles this year, with fully realized videos that she poured her money, creativity and sweat into, knowing the algorithm wouldn't favor it, because she wanted fans to have those experiences. She did this at great personal cost and risk. She deserves to have support in releasing not just this album, but her future music, and her signing a distro deal makes sense. She has every right to take a fun, lyrically conceptual song—that was never really meant to be more than a verse and a chorus—and rework it for the TikTok era. She deserves some viral momentum, and I support her chasing it.

We know Bonnie reads these forums. We know we're gonna listen and stan regardless. I think it would suit us all to stop having such entitled reactions when things she releases aren't exactly like what we wanted (or like what we remember from demos, which were never finished and we shouldn't have even been listening to anyway lol) and stop acting like we only support her as much as we personally favor her most recent creative output.

Let's think bigger and do better for our girl! She's working her ass off and killing it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, zaynphallic said:

We all support Bonnie (why else would we be here after all of these years?! lol) but I think the criticisms towards her putting out a one minute song as a single are completely valid. Fans have been asking her for this song for a decade (!!) so of course we're going to be underwhelmed when it turns out to be 1:20 long. Especially after all of the hard work she put in to make "SLAY" and "Hot City" so epic and worth the wait. It's just puzzling to me that after all of this time, and after going to the trouble of having this re-produced, she wouldn't write a second verse to make it a fully fleshed out track.

Is it really puzzling or is it just personally disappointing to you? I think it's helpful to zoom out of the quality of the music for a second and fans personal desires on every track and understand the bigger picture. Bonnie having a viral hit should be a priority for her and her fans, so she can unlock benefits of her new deal and continue putting out music that suits her vision. Shorter songs have a better chance at that in the TikTok world none of us chose (or even seems to like), but which all of us live in. Bonnie has to make tough choices, and since she's a self-funded artist, we aren't going to get every item on our wish list. We're just not. I think the tone of some of these criticisms is out of pocket considering she's going out on this limb FOR US.

Edited by Jennys Girlfriend